Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Fixer-Upper... The Dollhouse Saga Continues


I have a serious problem. I love dollhouses. I must have bought and sold at least 5 of them, driven 80 miles through the rain for one, spent hours scouring craigslist. It's an obsession and I can't help myself. I have 3 boys and yet, I still feel incomplete without one! I no longer delude myself into thinking that it's something for the kids, I just now accept that it's my own thing.

I thought the Drewart was going to be The One. I was absolutely crazed with finding it. But once I had it here, it just didn't have the right feel. It wasn't as solid as the Kinderkram and it was bought new, which is an odd thing to have wrong, but I love the idea of buying toys with a history of childhood love and play. The wonderful thing about it was being able to pass it along to a very sweet family who I know will love and cherish it

So I packed up the furniture until I could find one that just spoke to me. I would deluge my friend Andrea's (another dollhouse obsessed mother of boys) inbox with photos of numerous potential candidates. I went back to cruising craiglist searching for dollhouses while wistfully wishing I had one to play with.

This past weekend, a listing came up for this dollhouse that had belonged in the same family for over 25 years! I liked the natural wood, I liked that the size would be large enough for all the boys to play with (if the mood should ever strike them)... but most of all, I just liked it because it reminded me of our own home that we live in when we first got it... a true fixer upper

The walls are made of plywood, the floor could use some refinishing

The bathroom is tiny...

... but there's the feeling of potential.
nice light in the boys room


an old cast iron stove in the kitchen

a sweet spot for dining

and a few interesting architectural details

while Luca thought his train fit in the living room nicely :)

So, these are the new dollhouse digs. Ivan was a bit taken aback by the size (about 40" wide and 35" tall), but I've place it in my own little reading nook to play with. The boys have actually taken a liking to it, though admittedly, it could just be the novelty of a new toy in the house.
I don't mind, for now at least I have a place to call my own :)




18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it. And I think it's good to have something that fills up your soul.

Andrea said...

OoooOOOOOOooo! I like it! I LOVE your photos of it! I have that same Alexander Henry red dot fabric and I've saved even the scraps. I'd love to come over and smell your dollhouse! I don't know what it is about them, I think it _definitely_ has to do with being the only girl in the home, I remain obsessed with them.

Andrea said...

oops did i say smell your dollhouse? well, i did mean it, but i didn't mean to say it out loud. I don't like how some of the ones i've had smell. i'm addicted to the smell of untreated wood! kind of weird, sorry.

Jenna said...

I have finally gotten out my childhood dollhouse (that my grandfather made for my mother)...it sits in our living room and the kid's know it's mine, though they're welcome to play with it. I figured that was the best way to invite the boys to play with it without getting my daughter upset that Mommy had given it to her.
Your new house is lovely!! The tank in the room made me laugh, as my nine year old son loves to take over the house with his brass cannons and tiny soldiers. LOL!!

Nicola said...

Sweet, Marina! My mom has a tiny little cast iron stove like that. She has quite the collection of cute little old fashioned things like that, actually. I love picturing it in your reading nook and for whatever it is worth, Finnian is the one who most loves and plays with our dollhouse! (Also a fixer. More so than yours by the looks of it!)
My Finn Luca has been asking me daily about your three boys. Today he asked me where Marina was. :)
Nicola

XYZZ said...

LOL. I've told my husband that one day I'm going to buy a dollhouse and fix it up! I used to read a blog where the mama decorated her dollhouse for holidays; it was adorable! Hope you enjoy yours. *hugs*

FrontierDreams said...

What a find, Marina!! I honestly love how you love dollhouses. It melts my heart :)
I still have no place for our big kinderkram one. We love it but it needs a big stump or table, for sure!
XOXOXOXOXOX

oh and I'm with Nicole, I love decorating the girls' dollhouse for the holidays <3

Brittney Harmon said...

My girls (and I) would love that! Looks like you're having fun *smile* do what you love and love what you do!

Tahara said...

The dollhouse is beautiful Marina...I really wanted that "Witch's House" that Drewart sells but couldn't get it...

If you know where I could get it...Lol :-0

Heather said...

OK, seriously this might be the most beautiful doll house that I have ever seen

Anonymous said...

Yay that you found one! I hear you on the obsession...I couldn't find ONE I liked, that's why I ended up making mine. It lives in my son's room, but it is my special project and I have no intention of giving it up when he outgrows it!

Best intentions aside, he really doesn't play with it much except to empty all of the furniture out and fill it with wooden dinos. *sigh* Poppy the kitten liked it though. :)

Mama Rose said...

Oh my! What an adorable dollhouse. I love that old stove :D

Unknown said...

Well hello,
Stumbled upon your lovely spot, I don't even know how, and just wanted to drop a note to share how lovely it all is. This dollhouse post struck me most especially, as my mother built she and I both magnificent, from-scratch dollhouses when I was a child. Both my boys enjoyed my childhood "home" for years. May you and yours have many good times in these rooms.

Molly
http://www.remedialeating.com

Unknown said...

ummm...can i come over for a playdate with you and the dollhouse? and while we are at it, can i borrow your camera and your eye...haha

beautiful photos!!! and what a great find! i think i may have to start a new obsession. jason will kill me..LOL

seriously..can i come over and play?

xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Looks like home to me. Great find lady. I will look forward to the evolution into making it your own home. And can only dream what you will do with the attic area :). Perhaps a little reading nook for the mom of that house as well. Love.

Anonymous said...

Oh and this gives me a bit of hope...I have a doll house from my childhood that was not stored well and is completely in disrepair. Makes me sad just looking it. I keep thinking I need to just get rid of it, but maybe there is hope :).

Anonymous said...

I love you, Marina! You completely make me smile.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I Love it!!!! And I love the furniture too, I have collected the same furniture for my two little ones :)
Lots of love,
Rosaleen ♥